An introduction to Patanjali's yoga sutra
With James Russell - dates to be confirmed
Patanjali's yoga is often described as 'classical' or 'royal' yoga is widely regarded as the seminal teaching on the philosophy of yoga. The 196 aphorisms of the yoga sutra codify earlier teachings of yoga and succinctly distil the essential concepts of yoga philosophy. An understanding of the sutra brings perspective and clarity to yoga practice and is a profound tool for personal transformation, awareness and self-realisation. In this introductory course we will look at:
- The context and structure of the sutra and its relationship with Samkhya philosophy
- The purpose of yoga and ontology of the text
- Patanjali's methods of Kriya Yoga and Ashtanga Yoga:
- Yama & Niyama - ethics and personal observances
- Asana, Pranayama & Pratayahara - posture, breath and sense withdrawal
- Samyama - meditation and Samadhi
A six week course. Each session will be 90 mins and will include presentation, group discussion and hand-outs/reading materials.
Course cost: £50
Maximum number of 12 students.
Dates to be confirmed. Please register your interest